How to apply for marriage certificate in California

If you are divorced or separated and wish to apply to the marriage certificate for your newlywed spouse, you will need to submit a marriage certificate application form.

You will also need to provide proof of your new marital status.

The marriage certificate form will include the following information:The name and address of the new spouseYou must complete the form within five calendar days of filing your marriage certificate with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)You must also include the date and time of your marriage, and indicate if the new spouses marital status is valid.

The divorce application will be mailed to you.

The court can issue you a divorce decree.

The divorce decree may be served at any time after you complete the application.

If you apply for a divorce, the court will determine the date of divorce, which may be different from the date the marriage was registered.

The California Department is now accepting applications for the divorce decree on its website.