Which marriage licenses should you be wary of?

Here are some of the things you should be aware of if you are planning a wedding in the state of Florida.


The marriage license is not required to get married, but you will be required to give your parents your marriage license.

This is important to note because many of the marriages are being conducted under the supervision of the Florida Department of Children and Families.

It is also a requirement that if you do not give your parental permission, your parents will be notified.

You can also get a marriage license from the Clerk of Courts Office if you can prove you are 18 years old.


A marriage license can only be issued to a registered same-sex couple if both the spouses live in Florida.

In other words, if your spouse is married in Georgia and your partner is married elsewhere, you cannot get married in Florida without your partner’s permission.


If you are married in another state, you will have to register your marriage with the State of Florida before you can get married.

The process to do this is similar to registering for a driver license.

The State of Georgia can issue you a marriage certificate when you get married and you can also request a new marriage license when you become a new resident.


If your spouse has a disability, you can request a certified copy of the marriage license by filling out a form and submitting it to the Clerk’s Office in person.

This process is not automatic and you must have a written request for this, along with a photo ID, if you want to get a new one.


If there are children living with you at the time you get a certificate of marriage, you must sign it, which you will receive at the Clerk.


You cannot be charged for a marriage that takes place in another county.

You will be charged a fee of $50 per day for each day your marriage takes place outside of the county of your residence.


If the marriage is a civil union, you are responsible for all of the financial responsibility for the ceremony.

If either of you are divorced, you may pay the spouse the cost of the ceremony in your state of marriage.


If both of you have a disability and you need a special wedding, you need to apply for the special marriage license within 14 days of the wedding.

If a marriage is in a civil partnership, the marriage will be handled by the court in the same manner as any other marriage.


If it is a same-gender marriage, the court will allow you to marry a person of the opposite sex.


You must obtain a certified birth certificate and the same for both your spouses.


If one of you is a minor and the other is a legal guardian, the guardianship will be granted in the name of the child and the guardians must be 18 years of age or older.


The clerks office will require a certified signed statement from either parent to show that they are at least 18 years older than you.


The ceremony will be in your home state, if applicable, but not if you live in another State.


If no one is available, the clerks office may require that you sign a non-disclosure agreement that will not be released until after the marriage has taken place.

If this is not possible, you should contact your state’s attorney general or the Department of State Health Services to get this information.


If, at the end of the day, the ceremony is not performed or the ceremony cannot be held in the county where you live, you have to return the marriage certificate to the county clerk’s office and give the county a receipt.


If neither you nor your spouse have a valid marriage license, you do have to sign a form to notify the court of the date, time, place, and date of the event.

This form must be returned to the clerk’s offices in either the state or the county, along the same day it was signed.


If any of the following are the case, you MUST get a court order to stop the marriage from going forward, and then wait at least 30 days before applying for a divorce.


You are a guardian of the other party.


You live in a foreign country.


The court order has been issued in your name, but the parties have not yet filed for divorce.


You have been living in the foreign country for more than 3 years.


The other party has a medical condition.


You need to make arrangements to visit the other person at a designated time.


You do not live in the country and are not a resident of the foreign state.


The courts order is expired or the parties do not meet to settle the marriage.


The person has a mental disability and cannot be legally married.


You would not want to have to attend the ceremony because the court would not allow you.

K. You wish