How to win marriage papers in California, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Vermont and Delaware, and what you need to know

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in a San Francisco courtroom, watching a trial about marriage, and the attorney representing the plaintiff’s ex-wife was asking questions about the procedure.

It wasn’t the first time I’d heard her say that.

The problem was that, to me, that was all a bit much. 

My ex-husband had asked to be represented by an attorney and was being granted that right.

But for me, the question was more personal.

I wanted to know what would happen if he were to take the stand and speak out on his own behalf.

I’d been hearing about a new class of court-appointed attorneys who would represent the couple’s children, who are now in foster care.

The state of California is now seeking to require these attorneys to become certified as marriage attorneys.

 As we sat in the courtroom, the attorneys’ questions were directed toward the issue of what happens when someone who has lost custody of their children does decide to come forward.

I was intrigued, and asked: How would the court’s rulings impact my ex-lover?

The attorney’s question was a bit different, though.

I felt that I could help my ex because, to my mind, I had no choice.

After all, we had two young children, and I was worried about them.

But the attorney also asked about whether I had done anything wrong, and she was trying to gauge my emotional state.

She wanted to make sure I wasn’t upset.

I was, and that’s when I realized that, at this point, my ex was the one asking these questions.

I started to cry.

I didn’t know how to react.

The legal system, it seemed, is designed to keep me in a box.

It’s designed to be very clear, and to not let me get too comfortable.

I’d seen the videos of the men in court, the men who were arrested for having sex with their children, the children who had been forced into marriages.

My heart sank.

My ex was not the only one in the court room that day.

The women in the room were crying, too.

The attorneys asked questions about how to make it look like my ex had been abusing my children, about what to do if I ever wanted to file a lawsuit, about how much time I had left to file for custody.

But I was the only woman in the group who had a lawyer.

My ex didn’t have a lawyer and didn’t want one.

I did, and so did my two other children.

The attorney told me to wait for my husband.

I sat and watched as my ex and the other women discussed what would come next.

My husband had a plan, the attorney told them.

They would go into court and ask the court to approve a declaration that the children were in the parents’ care and that the couple had married.

The declaration would be an acknowledgment of paternity and be binding on the children.

This would be my way to clear my name.

I asked them if I could get the judge to make the declaration, but the attorney refused.

The judge said he couldn’t.

The lawyers argued that I should have a judge sign the declaration because I was my husband’s legal guardian.

I told them that I would not have the court approve the declaration if I didn ‘t have a court-certified attorney.

That meant that I had to file an application to have a birth certificate signed by the judge, and get a court order to do that. 

The lawyer then turned to me and said, “If you want to be a lawyer, you should file a motion to have the judge order that the birth certificate is not a marriage certificate.” 

I told him I didn t have time to prepare my filing because I had a lot of work to do.

I also said that if my ex wanted to go to court, I would be happy to assist him.

I said that I was very happy to be an attorney.

But my ex still wasn’t convinced.

At the end of the meeting, he said, I have no right to represent him.

He said, You don’t have to go into this.

You can just wait here. 

I asked the lawyers why they were telling me to leave.

They said that they had been trying to find a lawyer who would be open to representing him.

They had an application in hand.

My husband had never been to court.

He had no court-issued ID and was only able to use a court issued ID card.

So they said, We can’t afford to go in to court with him.

When I told the lawyers that I didn “have a lawyer,” one of them said, What about you?

We don’t know what you’re talking about.

You have no lawyer, right?

That’s what I said.

After the meeting with my ex, I started getting messages from other women who were having similar issues

Marriage papers: How to write your own marriage certificate

We’ve all been told that marriage is between a man and a woman, and this is one of the pillars of the Australian legal system.

But what happens if one of you has no marriage papers and you want to be legally married in Australia? 

That’s where this new initiative comes in. 

The Australian National Archives and Records Service has developed a system to help people legally marry in Australia, and we’re going to explore some of the issues that can arise when one of us gets married.

What is marriage?

Marriage is a legal union between a male and a female.

It’s a marriage in which one person becomes the legal legal heir to the other’s estate, and the parties get to determine the law that governs that inheritance.

Marriage can also be between two people who share property, but that is usually not recognised in Australian law.

What does the legal term “marital union” mean?

Marriage involves two people living together and entering into a legally binding contract.

A marriage is recognised by the Australian government as a legal and civil relationship, with both parties making a commitment to respect each other’s legal rights and obligations.

What are the legal rights of a spouse and/or partner?

The legal rights a spouse or partner has are as follows: a) to marry someone else, without the partner’s consent; b) to inherit from someone else; c) to use property or money jointly; d) to have a child, regardless of their age; e) to make joint-investment decisions; f) to own or share property and/inherit the money; g) to claim the property of another person; h) to do all the things that are allowed by law.

What is the legal status of a person who has not married?

The laws of a state or territory may not apply to a person not married to that state or Territory, even if the person is also living in the state or region in which the person’s legal residence is.

How do I get married?

When you file your marriage certificate, the Australian Government will give you a copy of it, along with a copy that will be shared with the other person. 

Your spouse or spouse’s legal representative will give it to you, so you can get married.

You can also send the marriage certificate to someone else if you want, such as a relative or friend, to make sure the other party is not in contempt of the law for failing to make a commitment or signing a marriage contract.

If you want your marriage recognised, you’ll need to prove that you have lived in Australia for more than five years and you’re not a threat to anyone else. 

Who can file a marriage certificate?

You can’t file your certificate unless you’re a resident of a territory or territory-contiguous jurisdiction, but you can register for marriage if you live in Australia.

If the other spouse lives in Australia and the marriage is registered, the other will also need to register.

You also need a valid, official, valid marriage certificate from a recognised official, if you’ve got one.

If your spouse or your partner doesn’t have a valid marriage contract, you can’t legally marry either.

What if the other side doesn’t know the details?

If your marriage is not recognised, it may not be recognised.

You may be able to apply for recognition if you can prove you lived in the other state or the territory for more years.

If you’ve been divorced, but the other partner doesn.

If one of your spouse(s) has died and you are not legally married to them, you must prove you live with them in Australia on a permanent basis and that you are a member of the same household.

If they are deceased, you need to have the relevant documentation from your former spouse(/s) in order to get your certificate.

If either of you is not a member, you may be allowed to register as a non-resident, but not a permanent resident.

You cannot apply for a marriage document if you’re living in Australia temporarily as a temporary resident.

If both you and the other are non-residents, you will need to apply separately to get married, but can’t be married.

Is it a civil ceremony?


If neither of you can give permission for a civil marriage to take place, then a civil wedding is not required.

The ceremony takes place in the presence of a judge and witnesses.

It may include a civil celebrant. 

How do people get married in the Northern Territory?

The Northern Territory government has decided that no-one outside the Northern Territories is eligible to marry in the Territory.

However, if a Northern Territory resident is married to a resident, the couple can get the marriage recognised by a magistrate.

What happens if I’m not married in a Territory?

If you are living in a Northern Australia, you’re still a citizen of Australia and have all the rights and entitlements that apply to Australians.

If, for example, you are